Monday, September 7, 2009

Shut Up And Surf!




Dorian “Doc” Paskowitz, at the height of his medical career, decides to abandon the material life he has somehow come to disdain. He, his wife and family (ultimately 9 kids!) embark on a seemingly idyllic family odyssey, living off the grid in a 24 foot camper.

This well woven documentary combines many vintage photos and film clips with incisive interviews to explore the family’s dynamics and lifestyle, leaving the viewer with a lot to ponder. Is Doc a visionary and quintessential father or a relentless control freak and child abuser?

Are the kids finally prepared for life in today’s real world? And how do they relate now to their upbringing and their parents? Will one man’s quest for Utopia work for his entire family?

Here is a surf film for anyone, surfer or not. It is a documentary that may leave you pondering your own belief system.

1 comment:

  1. I admit at times I enjoyed his attitude but mostly I was shocked. You are correct. I pondered over it for a few days.

    My analysis is that he has very irresponsible. His self centered attitudes were exercised at the expense of his family. Let's not forget that the mother was a willing participant in this life style.

    To have sex in the same room that your 9 children are in is inexcusable. And to make it worse this was almost daily.How selfish can two people be.

    No Schooling ...what the *0$#@! is this guy thinking??

    I feel the final analysis is expressed in his childres attitude toward their father today. They have much anger towards him.

    On the flip side he had some good ideas with regards to health and his love for surfing.

    This is just my opinion. Having 4 kids and 2 grandchildren that live near me and are always at my home expressing their love for me and my wife tells me that my parenting skills were not too far off the mark.

    ReplyDelete