Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Rupert Pupkin Rides Again


Anyone catch Robert De Niro’s controversial acceptance speech at the Golden Globes? I hear the jury is still out on whether he was awkward or funny. I know I was crackin up!

He quipped, “I thought this would be more fun for this kind of evening.”

The actor showed up without his statuette because the top fell off, answering questions with his hands in his pockets. “They need to solder it back on.”

"Thank you for this extraordinary honor. I was very, very moved when you made the announcement two months ago, well before you had a chance to review Little Fockers."

To hear this kind of self-deprecating, deadpan humor from the renown man of few words was a total treat for me and a fun glimpse into his private persona. And maybe he even had a few drinks.

I can totally relate to his opening up like that. I'm sometimes frustrated myself, that people don’t always get my own offbeat humor. And where's the fun in always having to filter what you say in not wanting to offend? Props to the man for being himself!!!

He can be comedic, ala Rupert Pupkin in The King Of Comedy or intensely sinister as Jimmy Conway in Goodfellas or purely evil as Cape Fear's Max Cady. Check out these three clips from the three very different Scorcese films. De Niro always becomes his characters.

"You talkin to me?" Bet you thought I forgot Travis Bickle.

When asked the key to his longevity, he responded, “I’m just here. Only the strong survive.”





No comments:

Post a Comment