Saturday, January 22, 2011

coo ya now?

Check out my latest guest post on THG
The Hurdy Gurdy Music Blog.






Sometimes it’s the album cover that beckons to give a listen. Longfingah & Dub Engineers album, Coo Ya Now!, combines a pastoral Jamaican scene with an incongruously towering sound system. The intriguing juxtaposition somehow suggests technology encroaching on rustic island culture.

I sampled the track Coo Ya and realized it was an infectiously refreshing cut. I’ve probably heard it fifty times now and still have no idea what coo ya now implies. It’s not defined in the Urban Dictionary and it can’t be an ode to Cooyah Beach, Australia; so I would welcome some enlightenment on this.

Recently I caught a clip and my quandary grew. These musicians were not the dreadlock Rastas I’d preconceived, nor was the concert setting, Radau am Stau 2010, the funky island dancehall from my mind’s eye. Then I heard Longfingah’s fluent German. HUH?! Had I been duped? Actually, I’d stumbled upon a reggae band from Berlin!




PS...Just Nailed It!

Jamaican term for "look here" or "come here"

cooyah look at dis, bwoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment