Sunday, April 25, 2010

what it is?



















Rice-A-Roni, the San Francisco treat...pause....NOT!

Then what is it? IT’S-IT.
It’s what? No, IT’S-IT.
Oh, is it? No IT’S-IT!
Well, then, who’s on first?

Actually this special treat was born in 1928, even before Abbott & Costello honed their baseball routine in the mid 30s. Originally IT’S-ITS were sold only at San Francisco’s Playland At The Beach for over four decades. When Playland was demolished in the early 70s, the IT’S-IT disappeared. Life became cruel and grim for the masses, who longed for that vanilla ice cream between old fashioned oatmeal cookies, bathed in dark chocolate.

Happily the IT’S-IT was reborn in 1974, evolving from mom & pop stores to the much larger facility of today. I had my first one when I lived in San Francisco in the mid 70s. It was a revelation. You know what? Every time I have one, it’s a revelation.

Now, I am pretty strict in my healthy eating regime. No red meat in the last 20 years. I augment the vegetarian cuisine with some occasional fish or fowl. (I did have that Spam sushi at Chris & Juli's party by mistake, thinking it to be some new variation on Unagi...It wasn’t so bad.)

I usually posture about not being a dessert person. However, once every few months, I get that craving for something decadent. And what might that be? It is what it is.....IT’S-IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment