Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Back In The Saddle



Via con Dios!
What the fuck, Utah?
You let him go!
No, l didn't.
No way! The guy's nuts.
We'll get him when he comes back in.
He's not coming back. -Johnny Utah




Taken from recent email excerpts...

Hey Charlotte,

I just picked up my 3rd bike saddle to try. What a process.... but cool that Norcal lets you demo.

I've upgraded to Fi'zi:k with K:ium rails (Pronounced Koom). The price cannot even be pronounced.

Later -Matt


Hey Matt,

Ooh - sounds so techy classy.

I'm all retro Stone Age with ti rails. -C


Hey Charlotte,

Shyeah..... Ti is like sooo 2010!! -Matt

NOTE: K:ium, a steel alloy, is 8% lighter, yet as strong and has better vibration absorption too.


So, you get the idea. I’m on my third demo saddle now and kudos to Norcal Bike in Santa Rosa for allowing customers to explore the possibilities to get just the right fit!!

The first two Specialized Phenom saddles I tried seemed awesome in theory. Specialized Body Geometry is developed by an ergonomics designer who provides medically proven solutions. The physiology of one’s sit bones is first measured with the BG Fit System (much less invasive than my TSA pat down).

The Phenom Expert saddle was just too hard on the ole butt bones, though. Thus I opted next for the Phenom Gel version. Now my BG recommended size was 155 mm wide (no that doesn’t necessarily equate to a big ass); so, even though my old saddle was 143 mm, I dutifully bumped up to the wider surface area, wanting to be ergonomically correct. My left testicle just wasn’t with the program though! I know, too much information, right?

Enter the Fi'zi:k Aliante Versus. This saddle really mimics the dimensions of my wrecked Avocet Air O2 40R and even has a “pressure relief channel”. Could there also be a “pleasure release channel” cause this sexy saddle is an exotic Italian beauty. Maybe I’ll just get lucky.

Clearly I am very optimistic about the upcoming test ride. To be continued.


Next Day (so many saddles, so little time).....

Yeah, work has been pretty spotty this week. Good thing I have my new gig as a bike saddle test pilot.

Now then, what has transpired with my quest for the ultimate saddle?


Before I even reached the Canyon trailhead, it dawned on me. I was focused on the ride and not the saddle! Need I even say more? Well, no, but I will anyway.

When I Photshopped those clouds behind the Fi’zi:k stock image (above photo), I was going for the visual effect, with little regard to any symbolism. Now I am riding on air!

3 comments:

  1. hi Matt- Same amount of geekdom in Bikers as in surfers, eh? Maybe even more with more moving parts to deal with. Gotta love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so you have a particularly soft butt that has what we call narrow tolerance. Good thing you're not riding the Tour de France right now, don't think they have comfortable saddles, but with all the crashes who cares.

    I'm glad I was in the vanguard in breaking the ti saddle rails; you were a prince to pick up the rail piece on a later ride; sorry I couldn't reciprocate-maybe you could have glued your tried and true saddle.
    Later, jrmtnbiker.

    ReplyDelete