Saturday, March 6, 2010

the envelope please


I revisited District 9 last night, this time with my girlfriend Rhio. (you can scroll back to my movie review posted Jan 26) I was a little uncertain if she, a lover of beauty, would handle the bleak visuals and repugnant looking aliens. Now Rhio is a big prawn lover but does prefer them a bit more succulent.

I am way impressed that D9 is even up for Best Picture. After all, Avatar had such box office success and stunning effects. Hurt Locker was quite gritty, though Rhio does somehow keep calling it Foot Locker. Blind Side & Sandra Bullock were endearing, and everyone loves a true story. And the others....well,I haven’t done all my homework, though I do know that Brad “wants him some Nazi scalps”.

Here’s the thing…. D9 is a brilliant movie that is such a departure from anything that went before. Sharlto Copley does an amazing acting job in a truly challenging role. Though the theme of racism is a vehicle for the mock documentary plot; as the film progresses it becomes so much more about relationships and loyalties and ultimately, doing the right thing. And the action kicks sci-fi ass.

I hope the Academy will be transcendent enough to award this film!

And yeah, Rhio actually did love the movie. She’s even dishing up a new prawn recipe for tonight’s dinner....with a side of cat food no doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment